Today, the Florida House and Senate convened for Special Session B. Special Session B is scheduled to be in session until February 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Several issues have been filed within the official call and they include:
- Reenact, amend and ratify the charters of the Eastpoint Water and Sewer District, Franklin County; Reedy Creek Improvement District; Orange and Osceola Counties; and Sunshine Water Control District, Broward County.
- Clarify the jurisdiction of the Office of Statewide Prosecution in the Office of the Attorney General regarding elections crimes.
- Provide additional funding for the Emergency Preparedness and Response Fund.
- Establish and fund a Local Government Emergency Bridge Loan Programs to provide financial assistance to maintain the operation of local governments impacted by Hurricanes Ian and Nicole.
- Establish and fund a program to transport unauthorized aliens and provide related procurement authority.
- Revise provisions related to intercollegiate athletes and compensation for the commercial use of an intercollegiate student athlete’s name, image and likeness (NIL).
Committee meetings will continue to meet and debate Special Session B and 2023 Regular Session legislation.
Additionally, the House Minority Leader Driskell attempted to file two bills regarding insurance and Medicaid expansion issues, but the motion failed on the House floor.
Finally, the House Speaker held a press conference regarding the pending 2023 Session legislation, Concealed Carry of Weapons and Firearms Without a License, aka Constitutional Carry.